Saturday, August 2, 2008

Entry for November 16, 2007

"Dou shitara ii no kana?"

What do you think I should do?

So we have this new guy at work. His credentials would suggest he is brilliant (graduated from THE most prestegious university in the country and then went to work for one of the ministries until he decided to persue a career in my field) but so far I have not seen any evidence to support this. His mind does not seem to process information the way mine does. I tell him to do a task and he gets totally bogged down by the most insignificant details. In a previous workplace, a supervisor scolded him for not doing what he was told to do, and then he disappeared in an AWOL kind of way. Later, he was found to have gone to his parents' house in Tokyo. I've never met a person who has Asperger's syndrome, but perhaps this could be the first time.

I am all about being supportive of people with handicaps persuing a career, but that's under the basic premise that said person 1) actually has an interest in persuing the career and getting to do it right 2) shows clear potential in accomplishing 1) given the proper help. This guy does not fit the description. He's with us until January, that's a done deal (he has to rotate through various departments and ours is one), unless I snap and he goes back to his parents' house again.

No comments: