By the way, here is the actual exam (English, written section). The test is 90 minutes. When you think about how nearly everyone taking the test actually learned English in school, as opposed to learning it by process of osmosis, you wonder how hard they had to work to get to the point where they can answer these questions with a reasonable level of accuracy.
1. A. select one in which the underlined portion is pronounced differently from the others.
B. Select one in which the syllable accented is different from the others.
C. If the underlined section is emphasized, which best describes what the speaker would like to convey?
D. Select one which appropriately marks the sections which should be emphasized.
2. A. Choose the single most appropriate phase.
(continued: choose the single most appropriate phase)
2. B. Choose the single most appropriate phrase or sentence for each conversation.
(continued: choose the most appropriate phrase or sentence for each conversation)
2. C. Place the words/ phrases in the correct order, and select which choice fills boxes 21 to 26.
3. A. Read the following English passages, and select one best answer for boxes 27 and 28.
Page 9, Page 10, Page 11
3.B. The following English passage is a discussion on friendship held in an American high school. Select one best answer for boxes 29 to 31.
Page 12, Page 13
3. C. Choose the single best phrase/ sentence to fill each box.
Page 14, Page 15
4. Answer the following questions (A, B)
4. A. Read the following passage and look at the following graph. Choose one best answer for boxes 35 to 37.
Page 16, Page 17
4. B. The following page is paperwork filled out by a Japanese traveller who fell ill while in the United States. Select a single best answer for boxes 38 to 40.
5. Answer the following (A, B, C)
5.A. Choose the passage which best describes the picture below.
5.B. Choose the picture described by the passage below.
5. C. Choose one most closely describing the cartoon below.
Read the following passage and select a single best answer for boxes 44 to 50.
(correction for typo)