Saturday, March 14, 2009

I've never seen it before.

Hajimete mita.

This morning, when we were getting ready to leave for day care, the Pumpkin Princess opened one of the kitchen drawers she never opens on her own. I'd hidden a small package of Oreos there, planning to use them to make Oreo Truffles, but I hadn't been able to find chocolate bark (or anything similar) at the local supermarket.

I immediately began a mental debate over whether or not an Oreo before heading out for day care was a battle worth fighting. However, the Pumpkin Princess's reaction was completely unexpected.

"It's my Very Hungry Caterpillar plate!" (Said plate is kept in this drawer.)

"Yes, it is. Close the drawer and put your smock on, it's time to go to day care."

"Yes, Mommy." She did as she was told without any fuss whatsoever.

I was amazed. Then it hit me. I've never given the kid an Oreo before. I'm not a food purist who insists upon 100% homemade, preservative free snacks. I've given her various kinds of junk food, just never Oreos. She doesn't recognize Oreos as being something attractive.

I'll give her one (or more) eventually. Preferably with milk. In the meantime, more for me (btw, I haven't got around to making Oreo Truffles. I ate a couple of them, so I have to buy another package, in addition to finding something to coat them with).

No comments: