Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Return of the Pumpkin Mommy

Kaette kita kabocha kaasan

So it's been two weeks of wearing makeup and stockings every weekday. Work has gone all right, and there were even some dull stretches. I'm at the point in my career where my work mostly involves checking if other people have done their work properly, so when there's nothing to check, I can lock myself in a spare room to make the Pumpkin Prince's lunch.

The typical day consists of my leaving in the morning with the Pumpkin Princess and dropping her off at day care, leaving the Pumpkin Prince at home with his daddy. At around three in the afternoon, the Pumpkin Daddy drops the Pumpkin Prince off at the Pumpkin Granny's, and goes to pick up the Pumpkin Princess. He brings her home, keeps her entertained, and gives her her bath. Then they walk to the Pumpkin Granny's. I meet them there when I finish work, and we all have dinner there. Then we come home, I put the Pumpkin Princess to bed (usually falling asleep in the process), I take a bath, and we go to bed. The Pumpkin Prince still wakes up a couple times a night. The Pumpkin Daddy has many fine qualities which I admire, but the ability to get up at appropriate times is not one of them, plus, I'm trying to breast feed as much as possible anyway. This means I'm constantly sleep deprived, but that's just the way it is.

In between, the Pumpkin Day Care went to a dude ranch. This being a weekend, it involved my having to fix a box lunch (bento).




Thank goodness for the frozen food section...

The Pumpkin Princess got her first pony ride. She was pleased she got to ride "the Philipe colored horse" (Belle's father's horse in Disney's Beauty and the Beast).



The mask on the ranch staff is an anti-swine flu measure. At least, it's supposed to be an anti-swine flu measure. It was a gauze mask, and I'm not sure how effective those are for flu prevention.

The Pumpkin Prince is growing and growing. I'm trying to remember if the Pumpkin Princess grew this fast, and I don't really think so.



That's it for now. Time for bed, until the Pumpkin Prince wakes up, anyway.

5 comments:

Annie Crow said...

Yes... The Dude is also not useful for waking up at appropriate times...

And boy babies are just considerably bigger than girl babies, startlingly so. They are also more active as a rule, especially as they get older and into toddlerdom. Apparently a three-year-old boy has proportionally as much testosterone floating around in him as a teenage boy does.

I've also been told repeatedly that boy babies CLIMB as soon as they are able. So watch out.

coppercorn said...

Look at that adorable little baby foot! While Étienne was my most active baby I'm not sure how much of that was due to being a boy and how much with wanting to keep up with his older brother & sister. They all have the monkey gene from my side of the family and could climb up and over the sofa before they could even walk!

Is swine flu still a big deal there? It totally blew over here even before Memorial Day weekend.

Kalamity K said...

There was an article in a Flemish magazine, about the Japanese school in Brussels. And how the lunch box was a Big Prestigious Thing. And I thought: I wanna be a Japanese SchoolKid. And: I don't wanna be a Japanese Mommy!
Wow. That looks incredibly yummy. Not half as good as the sandwiches with cheese I made the Special K's this morning. (Which took me 2 minutes and a half ...)

pumpkinmommy said...

Anne, yes, the Prince is bigger than the Princess. The gender thing is one factor, and the other is that the Princess is of average height and weight, and the Prince is bigger than average. Let me know when Buster starts climbing, I'll mark the date six months later for when I should start watching out :P

Jilly, it's pretty much blown over here, although it was still quite a big deal at the time of the trip (my mom actually cancelled a trip she'd been planning to Tokyo because of it). Which is amusing, because the number of cases has been increasing...

Kiki, like I said, it's all frozen food (mini-hamburger steaks, baby mac and cheese, etc), except for the musubi (rice balls). Oh, and I washed the baby tomatos...

Anonymous said...

The food most certainly looks delish, I can't really comment on the kids/baby because mine are fur babies but there is a plethora of information out there in parenting magazines and all of seems to contradict one another... it confuses me to no end.