Monday, April 13, 2015

Not in this house

Kono ie de ha dame

The Pumpkin Princess decided she wanted a takopa. That's short for takoyaki party. Takoyaki are fried balls of batter containing bits of octopus (tako) and veggies (usually cabbage and scallions). They're a standard issue festival stall food, but homemade are always better (but isn't that always the case for all foods?)

So after the 6 nine-year-olds had had their fill of takoyaki and veggie sticks and musubi, they decided to have an impromptu fashion show. The "contestants" dressed up in the Pumpkin Princess's piano recital dresses.

Except, one of the girls was much bigger across than the others. And she said she couldn't be in the fashion show because she was too fat.

A beautiful little girl is not going to be left out of a fun game because she's not the right size and shape. No. Not in this house. Not on my watch.

"Do you want to try on one of my dresses?"

I dressed her in a kurti (Indian style tunic) gifted to me a while back. It has beads and rhinestones that keep falling off, which means it's a tween's pipe dream. She was so happy and beautiful and she kept twirling around and around in it. She kept it on until her mom came to pick her up so that she could show it to her, and excitedly told her mom that she won second place in the fashion show.

"Is that an ao dai?"

Wrong tropical country, mom. Ao dai is a Vietnamese dress.

I'll dress your daughter in one the next time she comes over to play.

2 comments:

Annie Crow said...

Beautiful. In so many ways.

pumpkinmommy said...

I really nailed that one, I think. I didn't nail the conversation later that evening, though, when the Pumpkin Princess said "thank you for letting S wear that dress. She was too fat to wear any of mine." I replied that S wasn't fat, she was built differently. The conversation led elsewhere, but I missed out on a body image talk. Which we probably need. And I have no idea how to do.