Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Entry for March 25, 2007

"Doushiyou mo arimasen."

It can't be helped.

Our new house has central air. I haven't lived in a house that has central air since I was 14. They are not the norm in Japan, and ours is apparently the only one in the neighborhood that has it. We found this out the hard way last week when the housebuilders fired up the AC for a test run. The neighbors in the house behind us complained about the noise. They do have a point. The neighborhood is mostly people my parents' generation, and when school's out (local elementary school about a 1 minute walk from the house, major point of purchase in this day and age of missing and exploited children) the only sound you hear is birds chirping. And now, the generator for our AC.

However, it's a legal machine that we went (further) into debt to buy, and we are using it. They can't stop us. Neener, neener. Or something.

So for the first time in my life, I am in debt (I even bought my first new car with money I saved, but mostly because I knew I would not qualify for a loan when I bought it). The first mortgage payment is due this coming Monday. It's official, I'm a mortgage mom.

No comments: