Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Entry for January 19, 2007

"Atama wo sagereba butsukarimasen."

If you duck, your head won't get hit.

Too much television is bad for you, especially if you are under the age of two. Or so I've heard.

I am not sure how much television the Pumpkin Princess watches. Before you all start branding me A Bad Parent, let me explain. The Pumpkin Princess goes to day care from 9 to 3. The Pumpkin Granny then picks her up, takes her home with her, and watches her until I finish work (6 or 7 in the evening). The two hours between the moment she wakes up and the moment she gets to day care, and the two hours between the time I get to the Pumpkin Granny's to pick her up and the time she goes to bed are the only periods I know and have control of how much television she watches. I know that she watches DVDs at day care (mostly educational DVDs in the form of taped children's programming from NHK, think Sesame Street type shows), and I know that she watches the children's programs on NHK with the Pumpkin Granny, but to be honest, I'm not sure exactly how much.

I do know that she likes a show that features the canine equivalent of Barney (except Wan-wan the dog is not purple, he's white with floppy brown ears). I, however, have a different favorite. If you have a lot of time, go to YouTube and run a search on "Pythagoras Switch". It's a kids' show like no other. The Pumpkin Princess loves the "Algorithm Exercise" song.

No comments: