Saturday, February 18, 2017

It won't fray

Hotsurenai

Uniqlo consists of anywhere from 50 to 100% of what I'm wearing at any given moment, especially in winter. I've had a love affair with Heat Tech thermal underwear for at least the past seven or eight years. I live in it. I wear it to work, and when I get home from work, I take off my sweater and pants and throw on a fleece top over the long sleeved T and leggings, and sleep in it. I get up in the morning and throw on my windbreaker and go running (full disclosure: this happens much, much less frequently than it should).

Sometimes, though, I want to stay warm while wearing 3/4 length sleeves, and the short sleeved Heat Tech scoop neck just isn't going to hack it. Plus, the long sleeves poke out of the cuffs of my altered Uniqlo dress shirt.

So today, I altered the sleeves of my long sleeved Heat Tech scoop neck.

I cut off the extra length of sleeves.



In a perfect world, I would be filthy rich and could afford to buy and have space for a serger. But the world is imperfect. So, I folded the cuffs over twice, and stitched them down at four points with hand stitching (I could have used a sewing machine, but with only about eight points to sew a small number of stitches, I decided it was too much trouble to drag it out of the closet).


I wore it to a party under a dress with 3/4 length sleeves. It worked just fine. It has gone though the wash twice, and so far, there are no signs of visible fraying.

I've also read on a blog that you can cut the neckline open for plunging V-necks and off-the-shoulder tops, but I haven't seen any crash testing done on those, nor have I done it myself.

No comments: