Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eye of the beholder

Miru hito shidai

Back in the late 80s/ early 90s, newspaper print patterns were the trend. Recreating English newspaper pages as a pattern was cool. There were newspaper print pattern pants, newspaper print pattern curtains, and, of course, newspaper print pattern wrapping paper. I had a friend who said "one of these days, I would love to get an armful of Baby's breath (another early 90s trend) wrapped in English newspaper. I would often start reading what was printed and find it riddled with grammatical errors at best. At worst, it would be jibberish. I once wrapped a gift to a friend in sheets torn out from Time magazine and taped a cheap silk flower I found lying around in the house on the ribbon (also found lying around in the house). My friend thought I was Martha Stewart. Or at least, she would have thought I was Martha Stewart if she'd known about Martha Stewart.

So I was amused to find this on marthastewart.com

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder.

2 comments:

Tia K. said...

I like gathering up all the Sunday Comic pages when I'm in the States. They make 'colorful' wrapping paper! And, even if the person receiving the package can't read the words, at least the comics are fun to look at!

pumpkinmommy said...

But that's an actually interesting and colorful idea! Plus, most of the time, it's safely tasteful. If you use a foreign language newspaper, for all you know, you could be wrapping stuff with the obituary page...