Monday, August 4, 2008

Entry for July 25, 2008

"Aisareteiru"

(I am) loved

I'm posting this from a McDonald's on the way from one outside gig to another. I feel like such a high-tech person. It took me a few tries to get connected to the Wi-Fi, but here I am.

The other day, I was trying to get connected to the Wi-Fi at work. We're not actually supposed to have it, so please don't tell anyone. Shhhhh. One of the ubergeeks at work brought in a Wi-Fi device and connected it to the LAN network without official permission. It's there until one of the network people figure it out and decide it's a problem, or it breaks. Anyway, ubergeek A transferred to a different gig, and no one I asked knew the password or how to get connected. About four different co-workers kept trying to help me (did you try this and this? Did you ask so-and-so?) and they were very nice about it (some of them had semi-ulterior motives, as they had tried before to get connected and failed. They were hoping if I figured it out, I would help them). It didn't work, so I decided that I would ask ubergeek A when I ran into him.

The next day, I went into work and there was a sign taped to the Wi-Fi device that said "password: riceandpickles" ("riceandpickles" isn't the actual password, I'm just using that as a random example). One of the people who were trying to help me ran into ubergeek A and told him I wanted the password. I thought it was so sweet of ubergeek A to do that (if unsafe from a security POV) and so sweet of the co-worker to remember my problem and ask ubergeek A about it. I really felt loved.

Or maybe they are scared of me and don't like it when I am in a bad mood and make it a point to do everything in their power to prevent it.

No comments: